The Briard - A Heart Wrapped in Fur

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Briard

Nana at five and a half months of age
The Briard is commonly described as a "heart wrapped in fur".  This is apparently a quote from an actress that owned one.  I agree, they are an extremely intellegent old working breed that is naturally protective and very affectionate. 

The AKC Standard states that the Briard is " a dog of heart, with spirit and initiative, wise and fearless with no trace of timidity. Intelligent, easily trained, faithful, gentle, and obedient, the Briard possesses an excellent memory and an ardent desire to please his master. He retains a high degree of his ancestral instinct to guard home and master. Although he is reserved with strangers, he is loving and loyal to those he knows. Some will display a certain independence." 

It should also be added that they have a huge enthusiasm about life.  They are not a hyper dog - just very, very busy.  They are also velcro dogs, wanting to be near those they care for.  They are also a touchy-feely kind of dog and I don't mean "oh let me lay my head on your lap and gaze with adoration at you".  They are touchy-feely the way a defensive line backer is.  Go to the bathroom and shut the door for three minutes and you will be greeted with a full body tackle of affection when you come out.  "OMG...there you are!".  At three months Nana had mastered: sit, down, go potty, and shake, but is completely oblivious to the command "Off" meaning stop launching yourself at me as a sign of affection.  Because we walk in a large regional park and it is winter with all the muddy red dirt of the Sierra Nevada's I generally look like a homeless person with the dirt I have acquired from our walks and all the full body signs of affection that are directed my way by Nana.  I have a vague memory of what good clothes look like and have great hopes of wearing them again in the future.

They are also a breed that requires a lot of socialization to dampen the guarding instinct.  I apparently have done a good job since she has yet to meet anyone she doesn't think is just wonderful and a "fuss over me fest" about to happen.  I have decided to postpone formal obedience classes for a while.  I think she needs to just be a dog and grow up.  Oh, she is getting some schooling.  She is being socialized, overcoming her fear of cows, has good recall when off leash, long distance traveling and how to behave when in a store, plus which things she can play with in the house and which she should not touch. 

The Briard is a wonderful dog, but I can see why they might not be for everyone.  I love mine and would not trade her for the world, even if people stop me and direct me to the nearest homeless shelter based on how I look after a day hiking with the tawny tornado. 

No comments:

Post a Comment